Thank you for your interest in adopting from NorthStar Wisconsin. Please read the following for vital information about adopting from us.
- Fill out our on-line application. (Sorry, we are not able to offer paper applications)
- Your app is sent to our Application Coordinator where it is initially reviewed, approved and assigned to an Adoption Specialist.
- The Adoption Specialist checks vet and personal references prior to contacting you.
- If your references are good, the Adoption Specialist will call you to discuss the specifics of your application, dogs that are available and get to know you better.
- If there is an available dog, and both you and your Adoption Specialist agree would be a good match, the foster home will call you for an interview and provide any additional information
- If both you and the foster home think this is a good match, a home visit is scheduled. A NSWI volunteer will come to your home to meet your family, other pets, and ensure that this is a good home.
- After your home check is completed and approved, an appointment will be made with the foster family and your family to meet the dog. NorthStar WI requires that the entire family and any current dogs be present for the “meet and greet.”
- The foster family makes the ultimate decision as to whether this dog is a good fit for you as this foster knows what is in the best interest of the dog.
- Often the dog is taken by the new owners the same day as the meet and greet – so be sure to bring a new collar and leash…..
A couple more things….
- You must be over 21 to adopt from us
- Dogs must be kept in the home at night!
- You only need to submit one application.
- We do basic background checks on all applicants to ensure the safety of our dogs.